- 12 pounds asparagus
- PER JAR you need
- 1 Teaspoon Dill Seed
- 1/4 Teaspoon Dill Weed
- 2 Smashed Garlic Cloves
- 1 Teaspoon Whole Peppercorns
- 1/2 teaspoon Celery Seed
- 1/2 teaspoon Mustard Seed
- FOR THE BRINE
- 8 cups White Vinegar at least 5% acidity
- 2 cups Apple Cider Vinegar
- 10 cups Water
- 1 cup Canning Salt
- 3 Tablespoons Sugar
- Prepare & sterilize the water bath canner, jars, lids and bands according to your manufacturer instructions.
- Wash and cut the asparagus to size according to your jars. I found using one and a half pint jars will fit asparagus nicely without with minimal waste. see note
- In each sterilized jar, combine the herbs and garlic.
- Place the asparagus in the jar, head size down.
- In a nonreactive pot, make the brine by combining the water, vinegar, salt and sugar. Heat to a boil over medium heat.
- Pour the brine over the asparagus and remove any air bubbles. Be sure to add enough liquid to maintain a 1/2 inch headspace.
- Secure your lids and bands and tighten to just figure tip tight. Place prepared jars into the boiling water bath. Once a rolling boil is maintained, process jars for 10 minutes at elevations lower than 1000 feet. Anything above that add 5 minutes to your rolling water bath.
- Turn off heat, remove canner lid.
- Allow the jars to sit in the water bath for five additonal minutes after turning the heat off to allow for proper a proper seal.
- Place jars on a heatproof countertop and allow them to sit there untouched for 24 hours.
- Remove the bands and label the jars. Store in a dark dry place.
Note place your asparagus head down so when you pull the asparagus out of the jar you do not break the head off
Disclaimer.. All my canning recipes are for educational or general information. These recipes I use and deem personally safe for me and MY family. I make every effort provide proper and safe recipes based on published canning data. However, I make no guarantee to their completeness, accuracy, up to date information or magical abilities. This recipe has not been regulated by the FDA, FTC OR any other 3 letter federal regulatory business. livinlovinfarmin.com and its owner(s), holdd no responsibility for results produced by any readers efforts.Check out more post from Livin Lovin Farmin
Livin Lovin Farmin is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.